Can Depression Be Genetic

Can Depression Be Genetic?

When someone is diagnosed with major depressive disorder, there’s usually a 60 percent chance that their condition developed due to environmental factors, and a 40 percent chance that they developed due to genetic factors. People with direct relatives (parents/siblings) with depression are three times as likely to also struggle with depression than the rest of…

Overcoming Seasonal Depression

Overcoming Seasonal Depression

Seasonal depression, or seasonal affective disorder, is marked by decreased mood and feelings of sadness specifically around certain periods of the year. It’s most common during winter time in temperate climates, when the available daylight per day is at its shortest, and nights last much longer. In many people, this causes a shift in the…

Learning to care about life

Learning to Care About Life Again

One of the harder things to fight back against in depression is the overwhelming apathy, the feeling that nothing matters. It’s a hard feeling to fight back against, because when you don’t particularly care about anything, it’s hard to muster the enthusiasm or the motivation to do so anyway. Sometimes, these feelings overstay their welcome…